Monday, February 14, 2011

'I was arrested for liking Tina Turner': Man, 48, jailed and evicted over loud music

A MAN says he was evicted from his council flat and thrown in jail for playing Tina Turner music.

Gary Irvine, 48, was sentenced to four months in prison for breaching an antisocial behaviour injunction 17 times in under two months.

Mr Irvine, of Lichfield Close, central Hull, was later released from jail after five weeks but evicted from his home.

The unemployed grandfather, who lived at the flat with wife Christine Doncel, 49, said: "I was playing Tina Turner's Simply The Best in bed with my wife on the morning I was arrested.

"It wasn't too loud. I can't believe they arrested me because I like Tina Turner.

"I am a good neighbour who keeps an eye on the area.

"I haven't caused any antisocial behaviour."

Mr Irvine had lived in his flat for a year, after moving to the area from Orchard Park.

Hull City Council said it took action after reports were received about Mr Irvine playing loud music at all hours of the day and night.

He was also reported for continuously arguing, fighting in the street, threatening behaviour and generally causing a nuisance.

But Mr Irvine, who has a Staffordshire bull terrier and a ridgeback dog, said: "The council told me off because my dogs barked every time someone came in the house.

"But that is what dogs do.

"I was attacked in my home with a golf club last year and the dogs are there to protect me.

"My music isn't that loud and if neighbours had a problem with it they should have knocked on my door."

One resident in Lichfield Close, who did not wish to be named, expressed their relief at Mr Irvine's eviction.

They said: "My life has completely changed.

"I can now go to bed knowing I am not going to be disturbed.

"I now have visitors to my house which wasn't possible before because of the disturbance from this property."

Mr Irvine, who has eight children and five grandchildren, is still living in Lichfield Close with a friend.

He said his life had been ruined by the eviction order.

He said: "I've lost everything – they have thrown out all my stuff.

"My life has been destroyed by this.

"My wife is not well and she's not coping at all.

"We don't have a home anymore and it's putting a lot of stress on me."

"If you asked my old neighbours if they would have me back, most of them would say yes.

"I got on with most people, which is why I think this is unfair."



Source: http://rss.feedsportal.com/c/32715/f/503342/s/12b06ce7/l/0L0Sthisishullandeastriding0O0Cnews0Carrested0Eliking0ETina0ETurner0Carticle0E32178370Edetail0Carticle0Bhtml/story01.htm

Blackburn Rovers Savings Skiing South Korea Poland Buenos Aires

No comments:

Post a Comment