Saturday, April 30, 2011

Picking up the mantle is aim of the parties' fresh talent

THE election race is hotting up as many candidates busy themselves delivering leaflets and speaking to residents in a final push for votes.

While people can have their say at the ballot box from the age of 18, many prospective politicians wait until much later on in life to stand for election.

However, James Spencer, a 20-year-old University of Nottingham student, is relishing the chance of being elected on May 5.

Mr Spencer, who is standing for the Conservatives in Wollaton East and Lenton Abbey, said: "People on the doorstep have said that I look quite young, but I always tell them they should vote for what I stand for and not base it on my age.

"I have always been a Tory, owing to my parents, and I started getting properly involved within the party at the last General Election.

"I think students are underrepresented in politics. There are around 60,000 in Nottingham and their voices aren't heard on the councils and I want to change that."

Mr Spencer, who is in his final year of a degree in history and politics, said he planned to stay in Nottingham whether he was elected or not.

He said: "I think it's important for people to have their say at the polls. People I have spoken to want enthusiasm and change, and I can give them that."

But whereas Mr Spencer is currently finishing his degree, two other candidates in Notts have not yet left college.

Both Tom Hollis and Tommy Anderton, classmates studying A-level politics at Bilborough College, are both standing for election on Thursday.

Liberal Democrat Hollis is hoping to become the councillor for Sutton North on Ashfield District Council, while Labour's Anderton is fighting for the Attenborough ward in Broxtowe.

Mr Hollis only turned 18 on February 9, but his passion for politics has been present for years.

He said: "I've always been interested in politics and started getting properly involved after studying it at college.

"I come from a very political household and joined the Liberal Democrats three weeks before the 2010 General Election.

"It's been a lot of hard work in the run-up to the local elections. I study in the morning and spend my afternoons leafleting and canvassing, but it's all enjoyable."

Mr Hollis said he would like to see more young people standing for election.

He said: "It's very important young people get involved in politics."

Mr Hollis is hoping to study law next year at either Nottingham Trent University or the University of Sheffield. He said: "I'm sure combining my studies with council duties won't be a problem."

Mr Anderton, 13 days younger than Mr Hollis, said his election campaign as a Labour candidate had been going well and that feedback was positive.

He added: "I have always been quite political but I think the real reason I'm standing is because I really care about Attenborough.

"I don't think young people are disinterested in politics, but sometimes there seems to be a distance between the top and the youth.

"Each generation has to pass on the mantle at some point and we have to see fresh ideas coming through."



Source: http://rss.feedsportal.com/c/32715/f/503354/s/1485280d/l/0L0Sthisisnottingham0O0Cnews0CPicking0Emantle0Eaim0Eparties0Efresh0Etalent0Carticle0E350A52480Edetail0Carticle0Bhtml/story01.htm

Craig Bellamy Property Sir Michael Lyons Manchester United Robert Schumann Florida

1 comment: