Thursday, May 5, 2011

Campaigner wants report on plans for A453 to be released

A CAMPAIGNER has called for an inspector's report into plans to dual the A453 to be made public even though the project has been shelved.

A public inquiry into the Highways Agency's plans to dual the road between Nottingham and the M1 was held in 2009.

The findings of the inquiry remain unknown as Transport Secretary Philip Hammond announced in October last year that any upgrade to the road will not take place until at least 2015.

Campaigner Steve Barber wants the Secretary of State to release the inspector's findings.

Mr Barber, a borough councillor in Beeston Rylands, particularly wants to know if the inspector ruled out one of 11 alternative routes – known as the Green Route – suggested by objectors.

This alternative proposal was to dual the A453 by building another bridge over the River Trent on to the Weir Field at Beeston Rylands, and a dual carriageway opposite Canal Side to Dunkirk.

The plan was first put forward at a previous public inquiry in 1996.

Mr Barber, who has long campaigned against this possible route, said: "We thought this was effectively stopped over 15 years ago but it once again reared its ugly head in 2009 when a public inquiry was held into the A453.

"The inspector agreed to a conducted tour around the Weir Field and said 'it was the most amazing place he'd been to all day', as he also toured several other sites along the A453 route."

The Highways Agency had ruled out alternative routes.

Instead it proposed to turn the existing rural section of the A453 into a dual carriageway and to widen the urban part through Clifton to four lanes.

Planning inspector Robert Barker was due to make his findings public last year.

Mr Barber said: "I want to find out what the inspector said about the Green Route and any of the other routes.

"We know it has been shelved for at least four years but it would be nice to know that particular route is dead and buried forever."

Mr Barber said he has asked Broxtowe MP Anna Soubry to talk to the Secretary of State about releasing the report.

Miss Soubry confirmed she had received the request and had passed this to the Secretary of State.

The Highways Agency announced last month that it hoped the A453 widening project could be brought forward to start before 2015.

It revealed that the project is one of 14 nationwide on a "reserve" list which could start early if circumstances allow.

It said a decision would be made this year on which of the schemes could be brought forward, based on value for money and development costs.



Source: http://rss.feedsportal.com/c/32715/f/503354/s/149896ee/l/0L0Sthisisnottingham0O0Cnews0CCampaigner0Ewants0Ereport0Eplans0EA4530Ereleased0Carticle0E35158120Edetail0Carticle0Bhtml/story01.htm

Mexico Neal Ardley Energy efficiency Disability Recession Economic policy

No comments:

Post a Comment