Thursday, September 29, 2011

Tyler Zeller: North Carolina's Quiet Leader

"I think (Tyler) Zeller leads by example, kind of like I did when I was there, but he isn't as vocal," that's what Tyler Hansbrough said to CBS Sports regarding North Carolina's senior center, Tyler Zeller.

Tyler Zeller, the Tar Heels' co-leading scorer last year, was recently named as a 2011-12 Blue Ribbon Preseason All-America second team selection.

The 7-foot pivot player is arguably one of the most efficient post players in the country, but often gets overlooked by his more hyped teammates Harrison Barnes or Kendall Marshall.

The senior isn't as exciting as his predecessor, Hansbrough, but he uses his height and size efficiently to seal his defender to get easy baskets around the rim.

Pickup games against North Carolina's all-time leading scorer will make Zeller better. Not many players have Hansborough's relentless attacking ability.

Zeller missed several games as a freshman and sophomore but was able to contribute fully last season as UNC became the ACC regular season champions and made it to the Elite Eight of the NCAA tournament.

Zeller was Indiana's Mr Basketball as a high school senior and subsequently named as a McDonald's All American player. "I think he is the finest running big man in the country and he has a tremendous shooting touch to go with that ability to run the floor," said Coach Roy Williams upon Zeller's commitment.

With that skill set, Zeller blossoms thoroughly with Kendall Marshall's ability to feed the post correctly or in the Tar Heels' running game.

This is why UNC are not only the ACC favourites next season but are also the No. 1 preseason ranked team.

Zeller could have entered the last NBA draft but he told Adam Lucas he has unfinished business in college.

"Really, I've only played one year here," Zeller said. "My freshman year, I was part of that team but it was a very small role. They were very talented, and they just didn't need me as much. I came back for my sophomore year, and I got hurt. I was frustrated after those two years. We went to the NIT and I still hadn't really played in the NCAA Tournament."

Last year was the first year I truly was able to do that. To get there and see that excitement, now I know what it's like to play a part in a big-time team. We've got the opportunity to go a little further this year and hopefully win it all. I wanted to be a part of that."

Zeller's hunger for greatness and humility will carry him far, and he will take North Carolina with him.

He should set the precedent for his little brother, Cody, a freshman at Indiana.

Source: http://bleacherreport.com/articles/870626-north-carolina-has-a-quiet-leader-in-the-form-of-tyler-zeller

Jonathan Albaladejo Andrew Brackman A.J. Burnett Steve Garrison Phil Hughes Damaso Marte

No comments:

Post a Comment